The intention of introducing this document is to support Bexley mainstream settings with ensuring a consistent approach when identifying pupils’ barriers to learning and/or special educational needs.
The emphasis of the Bexley Toolkit is to provide a consistent approach to ensure that:
- High quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils, is the first step in responding to pupils who have or may not have SEND.
- All school members are routinely providing support and guidance as set out in the SEND Code of Practice 2015.
- Pupils’ barriers to learning are identified early, quickly and correct support or intervention are provided.
- Schools monitor the impact and effectiveness of support and interventions through the graduated approach.
- Parents will know what support they can reasonably expect to be provided.
- Children and young people, their parents or carers, will be fully involved in decisions about their support and what they want to achieve.
- Support given should be in line with the pupil’s needs and not dependent on diagnosis.